Why is this a priority?
80% of people die in hospitals, nursing or care homes. To transform end of life for every person in our community we have to extend our reach and use our specialist knowledge to influence the care of those dying in these environments.
What we’ve done so far:
- Established an ongoing arrangement where we pay for a medical Consultant to work two days a week in the hospital
- Established a four month rotation for Foundation Year 2 junior doctors to work in the Hospice
- Run placements and training programmes for nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and counsellors
Campaign Hospice Reach will enable us to:
- Ensure that our work in the hospital, nursing and care homes is sustainable
- Furnish and equip the education and training centre in the new Hospice
- Equip a new professional library and fund journals and books
- Roll out training in Advance Care Planning to a wider audience including GPs and district nurses